Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ack!

Well we rented a mini cooper tonight and I´m a bit petrified of the fact that it´s so shiny and new, I really don't want anyone to want to steal this baby. I love it, but couldn´t we just have a dusty old yugo or something??

I certainly broke it in some tonight, re-learning to drive stick shift and learning for the FIRST time ever to finagle through one of those huge inter-city rotary things that usually go around a big arc de triomphe or something. And I got lost perdido a few times and wasn't ready to do an illegal "you-ey" here! Thankfully I do have that inner demon of being able to drive like hell in a city but the stalling and clutching and breaking and just finding the darn gears took some practice. Let´s put it this way: the rental car security guy who was letting me out the gate was like "Please... your car is smoking like a bomb. Can´t you just take the METRO or WALK!?!" (in spanish). That´s where I say thank you and charge it please, and I´ll be on my way.

It should be much easier to navigate major highways to the cities we´re going to and then just park it by the hotel and walk around but I am worried (as I say here, estoy muy nerviosa) about the theft risk. Cross your fingers por favor.

Here´s a few recent photos below. Sorry in advance that if you click on them, they´re going to be huge, I don´t have a way to compress ém here.

Believe it or not these first 2 photos of La Sagrada Familia were taken within 2 minutes of each other -- same amount of darkness in the sky, but different facades (sides of the building) with different shutter speeds and a little twirling of the lens (and craning of your neck since the computer won't let me post my photos right-side-up) made two different entire views.
typical view of a restaurant or market in Spain. lotsa carne.interiors of Casa Battlo, dozens more photos where these came from:"Apt. G" in Casa Battlo. G is for Gaudi, that's good enough for me...A very typical iron gate on an apartment in Valencia. Loads more photos coming later.

2 comments:

Eliza Cross said...

Fantastic photos! It's so much fun to read about your travels and escapades driving the Mini. Have a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

nice pics. Yes, SG is stunning at night (I feel like you can see more detail). Ooh, a mini...I'm jealous.