Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lovely Italy and Switzerland!

Ah! Talk about a fresh breath of air. This was the view from the train right after I landed in the Zurich airport - I think the lake and town is Thun, on the way to the station where I changed, Spiez (which is so fun to say: shpeeze).
 This was our train ride up to our hotel in Murren.
View of the Alps from our bedroom - we could not believe it. A few minutes later we had cheese fondue for dinner, mmmmmm.
My mom loves to be matchy-matchy but this day we were laughing about the incidental fact that everything - everything! - matched. And it also just happened we were on our way to the light-brown / caramel-colored town of Siena which also happens to be her favorite crayola color (Burnt Sienna).
El Campo in Siena
walking to the top of the tower overlooking Siena

The duomo 
 and then off to the coast:
 At the trailhead of the Cinque Terre National Park (a 7 mile coastal hike between 5 towns)
 Locks for good luck that people leave on the trail.
 There were little red poppies everywhere in Italy which I'd never even seen before in the wild.

 eating at the top of the third town, Corniglia with cliff vineyards and the mare behind us:
 
A few more photos are coming when I get back home.
Don't miss our paragliding photos too!!

2 comments:

kbliss said...

So happy you made it to Cinque Terre. -kbliss

Unknown said...

That's right, you went up the church tower last time in Siena, right? And I went up the tower on Il Campo.
CT looks as beautiful as ever! I missed all those tags on the trail last time. I wonder if they were there then. Is that village where you had lunch the one with all those stairs we took last time??
:)
K