Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Sitting in Limbo

A lot of folks have commented I've been "quiet" since the last post in April. I've been compelled to write many times, but don't know exactly how to write what's going on at this juncture in life because it feels just like that cheezy-but-true song, unwritten.

Since last year when I found myself laid off for the first time, I've been unexpectedly more fulfilled than ever before... volunteering, developing my resume further and further, having oodles of time to meet friends and take the dog to the park, make proper breakfast and coffee in the morning, read books... and meanwhile I've gotten better and better at saving what I have in the bank, and shopping around for better prices on things that I used to just buy aimlessly. In so many ways, the extra time has been a blessing and an opportunity to reflect on what it is that I enjoy and want in life, and all the things and people that I'm so grateful to have. The experience has really been the perfect lesson in silver linings.

All that said, I'm getting eager to start work and find a company where I can stay a long time! The past year was a mix of not-quite-right job offers, short-term positions, and a little freelance work thrown in, just to keep me on my toes. The last few months I've found myself at a loss for inspiration to stay in Colorado, so I've started to look for work elsewhere and hope I'll have news to share on that by year's end.

At this moment I'm very actively sending out resumes, but starting to feel a gloomy hovering question of whether my life will continue to be patchwork of different jobs - five years here, two years there, three months in Europe here and there. : ) I've always liked patchwork, but I'm also a tremendously loyal person and I miss having a company where everyone knows your name (). That, and I'm longing to have what some of my friends have -- five or six weeks of vacation saved up, "perks" like dental insurance and a matched 401K.

Everything's a big balance, so I probably won't have a chunk of time off like this again for many years, but I hope the memory will last, and that it's taught me not to take for granted the dog, the coffee, the understanding boyfriend, the cheap rent, the occasional four-day weekend with friends and family, the sleeping in. Meanwhile -- if any of you have job leads, send 'em along! Online resume: www.linkedin.com/in/laratherrien email: larasueg @ gmail . com

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and stay tuned!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey La,
I'm having kind of similar feelings, although my "time off" has not been quite as fulfilling. At this specific point, I feel quite lost and haven't figured out what the next step will be. Want to pass some of your introspection my way?? :)
-K

Anonymous said...

Yep, I must be older and wiser than you when it comes to being unemployed ! :) Try some volunteering. It's good job experience and you meet people who may be able to help you land work. Also there's often weekly or monthly "meet for coffee" type groups for people who are looking for work to network. Keep your eye open for those.

Here's a volunteer site: http://www.allforgood.org/search#num=10&start=1&vol_loc=santa%20cruz%2C%20ca&timeperiod=everything&cache=1

Anonymous said...

p.s.

http://youngprossantacruz.ning.com/

Anonymous said...

Who's writing to you and leaving comments in Chinese?! Anyway I just wanted to say that you have been an inspiration to all of the employed who are grinding away at our jobs wondering the same thing - why am I here other than for the paycheck and 5 weeks of vacation? Definitely searching for something meaningful myself but maybe that's what you realize when you hit the age of 3-2.

Can't wait to see what happens in your journey :)