Thursday, July 27, 2017

Facebook makes me feel vain.

This past two years, my real life friends and family members often always ask why I leave facebook (deactivated my account about a dozen times, only to return later when some web site, organization or cause was shared exclusively on facebook). Everyone pushes for an answer of why I don't like it

With each time I deactivate, I have selected one of the numerous answers of the choices, except two exceptions (I never picked, "I don't understand how to use it." or "My account was hacked").  The fact that Facebook has this array of options means they already know why people are disconnecting.

Today I selected Other and in the explain further note, wrote honestly
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Facebook makes me feel vain.

I primarily use it when I'm procrastinating something else, and then regret the procrastinating later.

I have never once felt like the hour I spent on it was valuable.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posts make me laugh at times, and I'll miss that. But more often, it feels like a vanity cluster via bragging, whining and the ultra-lazy "like" buttons replacing genuine interactions with friends and family. Clicking a thumbs up icon while you multitask other things is the opposite of real connection, communication or emotion. It's a gesture to say "I barely care".

The medium of facebook also encourages negativity, provocativeness, and snarky judgment. Who needs that! The online universe could use more compassion, civil discourse and encouragement. 

I will miss a few people who really use it well, especially a few high school teachers, but hope I'll find their positive content in other forms. Maybe there will be a future Care About the World book instead of a Facebook.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have to agree. I just mostly stay off but I think I'll always keep it because it's been so useful in organizing events and staying in touch with friends from all of my travels. But I'm often baffled about what people find worthwhile news to share. Like complaining about traffic etc.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.