Sunday, December 31, 2006

Stuck in Tex

Happy New Year Y'ALL! More than an appropriate choice of word. I am in a small town near Amarillo, TX, and believe me, I am as surprised as you are that I found an internet connection here.
I was already delayed 2 days in driving back to Denver because of the second snow storm that hit Denver this week but I figured I'd be safe driving home yesterday & today... wrong!

this is literally me driving with fingers crossed that roads would be open.

isn't there an expression that you're up stink creek? been there.

Actually the weather was fine for my 10 hour drive yesterday through all of Texas. I took some beautiful pictures of the sky and the small towns. Texas roads are all open, Colorado roads are open, but all of northern New Mexico is closed because they got 30 inches of snow, and that's the way I need to go! It's really the only direct way home. Otherwise I think it would be a waste of time and gas to go up to oklahoma and kansas which probably have road closures too. So I'm staying here and holding my breath that NM roads will open tomorrow. In normal weather, it would be a 7 1/2 hour drive... but that also takes into consideration that the speed limit is normally 70.

Hundreds of people are stranded in the panhandle of Texas like me. Someone just walked into this little Best Western and asked if there was a starbucks nearby. That was the best laugh I've had all day.

Will be hanging out in my hotel room today and watching the Seinfeld marathon on TBS. Thankfully I brought (or bought in Austin) enough clothes for an extra few days. I think I will head over to the local general / grocery store. Actually I heard they even have a one-screen movie theater in this town...

No comments: