Sunday, December 31, 2006

lubbock or leave it

by the way, Lubbock or Leave It is my theme song for this trip. Hopefully they won't arrest me for listening to the Dixie Chicks. I'm serious.
yikes. how scary is this map?? i'm trying to get up through the northeast corner of New Mexico tomorrow and all those little red circles with white lines means road closed as of right now.

if you're interested in my route, here's the link on mapquest except I passed through Abilene instead of Dallas. On the map, I'm currently at the route 83 sign near Amarillo, until further notice!

One of the things I never knew about Texas and have learned in travelling through is that a lot of the towns and setttlers here were German (Rhineland or Niederwald, anyone?) There are also some REALLY funny town names like Happy and Ding Dong (no kidding).

But my favorite thing while driving has been making a list of towns that would make really great, original dog names... like Mumford, Marlin, Hewitt, Rowden, Floyd, Roscoe, Nolan, Burnett, Pete (love it), Wenzel, Vernon, Tye, Buford, Mitchell, Scurry, Roby, Merkel, Henson (love it), Stanley, Buda, Harrold, and Holmesly (you could call him Holmes!... oh I love that). Very very original town names for sure. You don't hear a lot of places named Lubbock.

still haven't run into matthew mcconaughey... he seems like he should be somewhere in Texas for the holidays. hmmph.

here's me as of an hour ago in the hotel parking lot. At least I have a K-Bob's Steakhouse to look forward to!
Do you suppose it's really necessary to have a "neighborhood crime watch" sign in front of this little house? I didn't see any neighborhood around it...

current song in my head: "I've just seen a face, I can't forget the time or place where we just met..." (bluegrass version)

No comments: